Patient Participation Group
The Aims of the Patient Participation Group
The PPG (Patient Participation Group) is a group of patients and practice staff who meet at regular intervals to decide ways of making a positive contribution to the services and facilities offered by Spa Medical Centre, Melksham. The aim of the group is to strengthen the relationship between the patient and the practice, which is critical to the provision of modern, high quality general practice.
Purpose of the PPG
- To develop, foster and maintain a healthy, positive relationship between the Practice and you, the patient.
- To give patients and Practice staff the opportunity to discuss topics of mutual interest in their surgery.
- To provide the means for patients to make positive, constructive suggestions about their surgery and their own healthcare, generating interesting, innovative and realistic ideas.
- To encourage health education/promotion activities within the Practice.
- To develop self-help projects to meet the needs of fellow patients.
- To act as a representative group that can be called upon to influence the local provision of health and social care.
- To involve further patients from the wider population.
Main Areas Of Work
Improving services provided at the surgery by providing feedback through patient surveys
- Supporting patients with the use of technology in the surgery, through the patient information screen, online services, use of the patient self-check-in
- Improving patient information through open evenings, focusing on topical current health events at the Medical Centre.
- Providing information, for example, ensuring that patient information and advice is as user friendly as possible, offering handouts and support on special days and enabling an “expert patient” facility so that newly diagnosed patients meet with patients with long term illnesses
To involve further patients from the wider population
- Supports the flu campaigns, FFT and other data collection exercises by offering their time to collect, collate and complete the information
How the PPG works
The running of PPG really depends upon the group of people involved. Full meetings are held quarterly with additional meetings held as and when required between these main meetings. The PPG Committee comprises of a number of key officers:
- Vice Chair
- Committee member x 9
Joining the Group
The PPG welcomes new members, particularly representatives from the under 18 age group, parents with young children, disabled and ethnic minority patients.
Call into Reception to collect an application form or for further information.