Spa Medical Centre has been carrying out excision/biopsy of lumps and bumps since 2004. We offer a one stop shop for minor operations.
Dr R Gabriel and Dr F Armstrong are both practicing general practitioners with a specific interest in dermatology and minor surgical procedures. Sister Debbie Todd is a Surgical Specialist Nurse who qualified in 2006.
We offer a wide range of skin surgery procedures including excision of some skin cancers to people in the Wiltshire area. We accept referrals from Wiltshire GP practices and Consultant Dermatologists from all the neighbouring hospitals. The following list covers what we can accept as referrals with regards to GPwSI minor skin surgery lumps and bumps and non-melanoma skin cancers.
- Cutaneous pigmented or non-pigmented lesions where the diagnosis is in doubt or where the lesion is enlarging, itching, bleeding or changing in colour (providing no concern about malignancy).
- Large or recurrent infected sebaceous cysts.
- Enlarging or painful lipomas (If larger than 5cm then please arrange an ultrasound scan first).
- Meibomian cysts / chalazion
- Bowen’s Disease
- Actinic Keratosis
- Viral Warts and Verruca either mosaic verruca or failed over the counter treatment for more than one year.
- Skin tags where there is clinical concern regarding diagnosis, or if the lesions are obstructing vision or affecting the use of visual correction.
- Ingrowing toenails, failed previous podiatry surgery or if referral by the Community Podiatry Service or Secondary Care.
- Ingrowing fingernails
We are able to accept referrals for low risk Basel Cell Carcinomas that fulfil the following criteria:
o Patient is 24 years and over.
o Less than 1cm in diameter on the head and neck above the collar bone.
o Below collar bone and less than 2cm.
o We are unable to accept referrals for BCCs on the nose, lips, ears and close to the eye.
o Not had a previous BCC at exactly the same site (ie we cannot accept recurrence of Basal Cell Carcinoma)
o Squamous Cell Carcinomas and Melanomas should obviously be directed to the appropriate Secondary Care Specialist. For practicable purposes this usually means the Dermatologists, Plastic Surgeons, Ear Nose and Throat or Oculoplastic Surgeons.
o We can occasionally make exceptions for the very elderly and nursing home patients in whom a trip to a major hospital would be difficult.
All our procedures are carried out under local aneasthetic, so please eat and drink normally on your operation day. Due to health and safety policy and procedures we are unable to have children in the theatre room. If the procedure you are having is for an ingrowing toenail please ensure a representative drives you to and from the surgery. Similarly if the procedure is near to the eye please again ensure a representative drives you. Please note that you are also unable to drive for 2 days following an ingrowing toenail procedure.
website/J83046/files/Advice following aspiration of Ganglion.pdf
website/J83046/files/Advice following Chalazion.pdf
website/J83046/files/Advice following excision of a Biopsy.pdf
website/J83046/files/Advice following excision of a Lesion.pdf